Specification of the support role
The data scientist will provide data management and analytics services within the Data and Insights team. A key aspect will be to engage with internal and external stakeholder to gather, process and analyse data on energy, energy prices and other factors influencing energy use. The role will require the development of reports and dashboards using visualisation tools such as Microsoft Power BI, to streamline internal and external reporting requirements.
The data scientist will support the continuous improvement of delivery across a range of programmes by working with business owners to identify and prioritise business problems and assist with developing innovative new services and products to enable data driven decision making from mining of rich data assets.
They will be required to analyse and improve coding (including in Python) for the efficient running of the company’s National Energy Modelling Framework.
• Build and manage relationships with key internal and external stakeholders
• Process, clean and verify the integrity of datasets prior to use for analysis
• Manage, design and execute all aspects of data analytics projects
• Apply appropriate data analytics techniques to key organisational problems
• Gather, assemble and process data to populate databases and disseminate results.
• Generate and publish reports as required to meet the needs of bodies such as the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications, Department of Transport, Department of Taoiseach, Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, Environment Protection Agency, Eurostat and the International Energy Agency.
• Expanding on existing data mining of the data assets
• Support the maintenance and development of the statistics website, including updating of webpages and of the energy data portal.
• Provide support as required on a range of projects to develop new data, analysis and insights on energy use in different sectors.
• Create business information tools for internal use, using tools such as PowerBI, to allow for spatial targeting of marketing efforts.
KEY KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Capacity to build good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and to capture and translate business problems into analytical solutions
• Knowledge and experience of database design, maintenance, querying and report generation a distinct advantage (good working knowledge of SQL essential).
• Knowledge of PowerBI would be an advantage
• Knowledge and experience of Python programming language
• Knowledge of the statistical programming language R would be an advantage.
• Demonstrable experience of best practice in data gathering processing, analysis and presentation and an appreciation of statistical methods.
• Ability to identify changes required in order to increase efficiencies in data management
• Excellent technical ability in terms of information management
• Track record of appreciating the need for accuracy and rigor in data collection and management.
• A proactive approach in objective setting, project tracking and driving for timeliness, quality and clarity of results and to operate with little guidance on project deliverables.
• Ability to work effectively and flexibly within a small team responding to needs as they arise.
• Excellent communication, presentation and organisational skills.
• Web publishing skills would also be an advantage.
The successful candidate must possess on the latest date for receipt of application:
• Degree (or Higher) in Computer Science, Information Technology, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Statistics, or equivalent professional qualification with a significant aspect of data analytics.
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience with common data science toolkits such as R or Python
• Experience in designing and developing databases.
• Significant experience of managing large scale complex databases requiring best in class expertise and state of the art methodologies.
• Good working knowledge of Python, SQL, PowerBI, R
• Successful track record of analysing substantial and multi-faceted data and creating clear and concise reports applicable to a wide range of stakeholders
• Successful track record in building and maintaining good relationships with external clients.
For a confidential and discreet conversation to understand more about this Technology job, please contact John Howe on +353 1 592 7868 or email