Brightwater Executive is delighted to be retained exclusively by SMT Fund Services for their General Counsel, Head of Legal Service key hire.
About their organisation
SMT Fund Services (Ireland) Limited is one of the companies that form SuMi TRUST Global Asset Services and is wholly owned by Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank, Limited, one of the largest financial services groups in Japan.
SMT Fund Services (Ireland) Limited provides fund administration services to a wide variety of investment products covering all alternative and regulated products.
Their service covers all the constituent parts required to independently produce a fund’s dealing or indicative net asset value (NAV) on a monthly, weekly or daily basis.
About this Role
The Legal team acts as legal advisors to, SMT Fund Services (Ireland) Limited, SMT Trustees (Ireland) Limited, and GAS Cayman Limited (the Cayman Island Trustee Company).
The team works with Transition on all fund launches, with various departments on existing fund amendments, and liaises with relevant departments and fund lawyers on fund termination.
The team deal with day-to-day queries, contract drafting and provide legal advice on request.
The General Counsel & Head of Legal Services role spans three companies, SMT Fund Services (Ireland) Limited, SMT Trustees (Ireland) Limited and G.A.S. (Cayman) Limited (collectively “SuMi Trust”).
The objective of the General Counsel & Head of Legal Services is to provide legal advice to
SuMi Trust’s Executive Management team on legal matters affecting business and operational departments and to lead the Legal Services team in all legal and corporate affairs that relate to drafting, reviewing and negotiating applicable service agreements on behalf of SuMi Trust.
- Lead, develop and mentor the legal services team, encouraging and ensuring strong professional growth is achieved along with operational efficiencies and lead the team across key deadlines.
· Manage legal risk within SuMi Trust
· Develop, implement and maintain key legal processes and procedures
· Oversee delivery of legal services and resources (internal and external) to accomplish SuMi Trust’s corporate goals, strategies and priorities
· Advise the SuMi Trust Executive Management team on a variety of legal issues as and when required or requested
· Manage the Legal Services team to ensure operational efficiencies are met and transaction deadlines are completed in a timely manner
· Review, negotiate and settle fund service agreements and documentation (e.g. Administration Agreements, Investment Management Agreements, Prospectus/Offering Memorandum, Appendices/Supplements etc.) and third party vendor agreements (e.g. I.T. contracts, facility contracts etc.)
· Collaborate with key stakeholders within the Risk and Compliance teams and provide such assistance as required to enable them to ensure SuMi Trust’s compliance with applicable legal and/or regulatory matters
· Liaise with external legal counsel where required and manage such engagements to ensure they remain within budget
· Remain current on legal and regulatory developments within the European Union and Cayman Islands affecting SuMi Trust
· Provide training, guidance and support to all members of Legal Services team
· Qualified solicitor or barrister with a minimum of 7 - 10 years post qualification experience acquired in funds department of top tier firm or large in-house legal services department
· Detailed knowledge of Irish and Cayman funds law with an overall broad legal knowledge (company law, litigation, etc.)
· Be able to provide solution focused advise on a variety of legal matters
· Proven experience of managing and developing a team
· Proven experience in drafting and negotiating fund related documentation, including service provider agreements for EU and Cayman Island domiciled funds.
· Ability to take ownership of problems and to communicate with Executive Management and colleagues at all levels.
Desirable Key Requirements
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating ISDA Master Agreements and associated agreements.
- Experience in reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements.
Core Skills and Behavioural Competencies
· Advanced technical Knowledge
· Leadership skills
· Excellent decision making
· Highly developed and successful negotiation skills
· Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability
· Demonstrates resilience
· Excellent communication skills
· Excellent mentoring skills
· Organised person
· Motivated personality
For a confidential discussion and more information, please contact
Estelle Davis on + 353 1 5927 844 or click the apply button below.